Friday 25 December 2020

Blood Heir / Ilona Andrews

 

Blood Heir (Aurelia Ryder, #1; Kate Daniels #10.5)Blood Heir by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you are a Kate Daniels fan (as I am) this book is just what you've been wishing and hoping for. It started as a serial publication on the Andrews' website, the same as they have done with their Innkeeper series, but at some point they determined that it needed a severe overhaul. They removed the installments from the site and assured the fans that they would receive a superior product when it was done.

I bought my copy online in mid-December as a Christmas present to myself and I have admired and crooned to it like Gollum with the One Ring until Christmas Day, when I allowed myself to crack the cover and READ. It was a tremendous treat and I know that I'll be adding it to my re-reading roster from now on. In fact, I've already enjoyed my favourite passages several times.

Interestingly, the authors were initially amused when fans assumed that this would be a series. They started writing it as a favour to exhausted medical staff who needed a pick-me-up due to the Covid-19 pandemic, presumably a one-and-done exercise. However, I can't help but feel that they aren't finished with this story line. Julie's mission isn't finished and I can't imagine them abandoning her at this juncture.

A lot of us needed a shot of positivity during Covid, me included. I read and reread the website chapters as they became available. Although I enjoyed them, I can tell you that the revisions tightened the story, made it flow better, and avoided some plot pitfalls. Hats off to the authors for performing the necessary surgery. Thank you, Ilona & Gordon, for yet another fabulous adventure in one of my favourite fantasy worlds featuring some of my favourite characters.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I had no idea this book existed but now I have something good to start 2021 with.

    ReplyDelete