Tuesday 15 December 2020

December's Thorn / Phillip DePoy

 

December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel (Fever Devilin #7)December's Thorn: A Fever Devilin Novel by Phillip DePoy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is the last book (number seven) of a series, which is an odd place to begin reading. And this is an odd, but engaging, book. I wondered if I would be confused, joining in at such a late date, but the author provided enough detail to let me know Fever Devilin and his situation quite clearly.

It's interesting how the author weaves together things that he knows to make the book richer—his knowledge of Southern culture and of folklore made the setting feel real and the main character seem complex and authentic. He used the Tristan and Isolde story very effectively to provide a framework for the novel. Then he adds just enough weird details to keep me slightly off balance throughout. How much of this is real? Not having read the previous books, I couldn't judge that easily.

Since it has been seven years since the publication of this volume, it seems unlikely that there will be further adventures of Fever, though there are threads left dangling that could have been the beginning of the next book. I chose this book because of the December in the title, but it turned out to be an interesting choice for all that.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment