Thursday 3 December 2020

December Dread / Jess Lourey

 

December Dread (Murder-by-Month Mystery #8)December Dread by Jess Lourey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The isolation required by this Covid-19 pandemic is taking its toll on me. I'm finding it so much easier to read in my favourite genre fiction bubbles rather than tackling more substantial literature. Here I am in December 2020, reading cozy mysteries and liking them! And how, you ask, can a cozy mystery involve a serial killer? I wondered that too, but Mira James with her sidekick, Mrs. Berns, made me a believer.

One of the true joys of the book is Mrs. Berns (whose first name I do not know), the feisty senior whose conversation is refreshingly uncensored and who is game for anything. She and Mira take a self defence course in this book and after the instructor throws her the first time, she declares that she isn't leaving that basement until she has mastered that skill. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious and her observations are hilarious. Mira herself is pretty cynical and she has acerbic commentary of her own that is entertaining.

Mira takes a course for private investigators during the first part of the novel. She proves that she can be good at it, having the observational skills and curiosity necessary for the role. Now if she can just find a way to get paid for it!

I don't think there's any doubt that I'll continue with this series. My library has January Thaw, now I just have to make room for it in my January reading schedule.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment