Friday 25 December 2020

A Christmas Party / Georgette Heyer

 

A Christmas PartyA Christmas Party by Georgette Heyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

For a couple of years now I have wanted to read this book (in December, at Christmastime). My library acquired it last year and I placed my hold hopefully. Things did not look encouraging—I had concerns that one copy had gone missing and it looked like it would be well into January before I got my paws on it. But, behold, a Christmas miracle, the lost was found!

This was my first Georgette Heyer novel, but it surely will not be the last. She very skillfully got me to loathe the whole crowd involved in this Christmas party! It was a great relief to me when one of them was finally stabbed to death! Nathaniel is the only one worth enough money to be bothered killing, and he is found dead of a stab wound in his locked bedroom in his palatial country house, fulfilling a couple mystery story tropes. Then the games begin, as the murderer is pitted against Scotland Yard in a game of wits.

I usually don't figure out the solution to the crime in these kind of books, but I knew who I wanted it to be! I was ready to stick a knife into this person myself, early in the novel. And Merry Christmas to me, I got my wish!

I'll be interested to read more of Heyer's work, either another mystery or a romance. She was able to make me hate her characters so well, I bet her romances are very engaging.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. All the best for the holidays and wishing you a Happy New Year.

    Guy & Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to both! Here's hoping for a better New Year!

      Delete