Saturday 24 February 2024

The Sign of Four Spirits / Vicki Delany

 

3.3 out of 5 stars

Just when I think that Gemma Doyle has improved as a human being, Vicki Delany returns to writing her as an annoying know-it-all. I dislike the way Gemma takes advantage of her friend Jayne to do her dirty work and sneaks behind her detective boyfriend Ryan's back to “investigate." It's a variation on my least favourite theme in cozy mysteries, the assumption that the police need the assistance of a nosy amateur.

And yet, Delany writes a good mystery. She managed to distract me from the true identity of the killer (not that it's dreadfully difficult to do, mind you). There were good red herrings and convincing circumstances. And I confess that I requested that my library purchase this book and I waited in a queue to read it. So, even if Gemma irritates the hell out of me, I'll be waiting for the next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment