Friday 16 February 2024

A Superior Death / Nevada Barr

 

3.5 out of 5 stars

Anna Pigeon has her problems: grief for her late husband, very few close relationships, a drinking problem, a job that requires a lot of energy and skill, but doesn't pay very much. Despite all of that, I couldn't help rooting for her.

The worst parts of the novel for me were Anna's two dives, deep into freezing cold Lake Superior. I could barely keep my eyes on the page, I was so freaked out. I'm a non-swimmer and the thought of diving scares me shitless. A dangerous dive for Anna, who is relatively new to diving, made my blood run cold and scrambled my emotions. Thank goodness that (having peeked ahead at the blurb of book 3) Anna will be headed back to a warmer, drier park next.

Barr wrote a pretty convoluted plot in this volume. There were an awful lot of oddities. A couple of the red herrings were quite unusual. But as the old saying goes, the truth is stranger than fiction. A park employee is reading Peyton Place at one point, and that book seems highly appropriate with all the strange things that Anna runs into. Unsurprisingly, Anna is okay in the end, ready to head on to Mesa Verde. I'll be glad to follow along.

No comments:

Post a Comment