Tuesday 13 February 2024

Magical Midlife Madness / K.F. Breene

 

4 out of 5 stars

Book 5 of the 2024 Read Your Hoard Challenge

The perfect book for Galentine's Day (the day before Valentine's), especially since I've been on a bit of a romantasy binge lately. Most urban fantasy is inhabited by women in their twenties, looking for love and bad guys’ asses to kick. But does the desire to kick butt end when you're in your forties? You bet your sweet bippy it doesn't!

Jacinta’s husband has requested a divorce and was most disappointed when she was overjoyed. Her son is in college and doesn't need her either. She is free! One thing leads to another, and she ends up as caretaker of magical Ivey House. There, she meets an elderly butler, a sinister gardener, a deranged neighbour, and an attractive bar owner. And you know what's refreshing? There's no romance! Jacinta is quite clear that she's done with that stuff.

First of all, I'm not twenty anymore. I'm not a naïve little chickie who thinks of nothing but love and marriage and consents to “I do" because she's afraid no one else will want her if she says no. Right now, on the other side of the naïve girl, I don't give two craps if no one else wants me. I want me, my friends want me, and that's plenty. So these anonymous magical people can shove their marriage proposals up their butts. I've been to that circus and I've seen all the clowns. I'm in no hurry to go back.

Jacinta does things on her own terms. She's direct and funny. She refuses to be stampeded into anything and negotiates for the things that she wants. I kind of love her.

I wish I'd read this sooner, when I might have bought book 2 for a reasonable price. I'm not willing to pay $30 for it and it's not available for interlibrary loan. Although I'd love to know what happens next, I have enough books on my TBR without pining for this series. I have a hunch that things could go all romantic anyway, and I prefer independent Jacinta, so that's probably for the best.



No comments:

Post a Comment