Sunday 16 October 2022

The Zig Zag Girl / Elly Griffiths

 

3.5 stars? Maybe a little more?

I am a fan of Elly Griffiths’ Ruth Galloway series and wanted to try out some of her other writings. I tried to come to this book with no preconceived ideas, but I ❤ Ruth so strongly that it's difficult not to compare Edgar to her in a less than favourable way. I don't identify with him like I do with Ruth.

I understand the author's need to branch out, however. It must get tiresome writing about the same characters all the time, even if one of them is Cathbad the druid. I'm hoping that Edgar will grow on me. At about the 75% point, I thought I had it all figured out. I was half right—I had the murderer, but I had the wrong idea about other significant points. No details or I'd be spoiling things.

It was interesting to read the personal history in the acknowledgements, to find out that Griffiths grew up in Brighton and that her grandfather was a music hall comedian (presumably better than poor old Tony here). So, although I don't love this series with the same devotion as Ruth Galloway, I think I will probably give Smoke and Mirrors a try. But I hope to squeeze in The Woman in Blue before it.

No comments:

Post a Comment