Wednesday 5 October 2022

Murder is Easy / Agatha Christie

 

3.5 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2022

As per usual, I was facing the wrong direction when looking for the murderer. Christie was very good at her craft, fooling me more often than not. Luke Fitzwilliam led me astray, just as Arthur Hastings usually does. He should have asked more questions of Miss Pinkerton when he made her acquaintance on the train, but hindsight is twenty-twenty.

I failed to see why Bridget appealed to Luke. I never did warm to her and I never cease to be amazed at how quickly couples make life changing decisions in Christie's fiction. They really barely know each other, that point where it's so easy to overlook major shortcomings in a potential partner. A much more trusting time? Perhaps.

I think Christie was also having fun with the idea of a small village being inundated with murders. So many of her novels are set in small communities that they must have started to seem much more dangerous than generally thought. Mind you, even today people move to small towns expecting a safer environment, only to find that human nature is still present and bad things can still happen.

I was able to double-dip with this book, reading it for my Appointment with Agatha group and also to fulfill the Terror in a Small Town of my Bingo card.

No comments:

Post a Comment