Wednesday 12 October 2022

Dead Witch Walking / Kim Harrison

 

3.75 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2022

Urban fantasy is my jam, so I anticipated enjoying this book and I did have fun with it, although maybe not quite as much as I hoped. I have tried to avoid reading other people's opinions of this series (not entirely successfully), to be able to form my own impressions. I found it to be a good introduction to The Hollows, with plenty of room to improve.

As is usual in urban fantasy, our heroine, Rachel Morgan, has a tendency to get herself into trouble through impulsive actions, a disregard for authority, and a smart mouth. When she originally quits her job, she is relieved when her boss clearly wants to be rid of her. Everything changes when his best Runner, Ivy the vampire, also quits, buying out her own contract in order to go into business with Rachel. Rachel becomes persona non grata, with a target on her back.

I can see where the Rachel-Ivy dynamic could get quite tedious, so I hope Harrison gets a bit more explainy in book two. She obviously has a different conception of vampire nature than I do and I'm as confused as Rachel is about Ivy's behaviour. In the meanwhile, Rachel is assembling her coterie of crime fighting chums: Ivy, Jenks the Pixie and his family, and the mysterious (human?) Nick. Plus sometimes the neighbour Keasley. Their home (an old church) and garden (a paradise for the pixies) is a great base of operations.

Rachel is a skilled witch, making this book perfect for the Spellbound square of my Bingo card, as well as being Book number 475 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment