Sunday 2 October 2022

A Night in the Lonesome October / Roger Zelazny

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2022

Yet another book that I've been meaning to read for several years, and I particularly wanted to use it for Halloween Bingo. Other years I didn't get a hold put on it at the library in time—there is always a long line for it, as many people read it every year in October. I will happily return it tomorrow for the next reader.

I have previously read Zelazny's Amber series and Lord of Light, but they really did not prepare me for this All Hallows Eve extravaganza. Zelazny hits all the high spots: magic, witches, black sabbaths, vampires, werewolves, the slithery Elder Gods, Sherlock Holmes, and Jack the Ripper. I think this book may stand alone in making Jack into a good guy. I loved all the animal familiars that we meet through Snuff, Jack's dog. When the time is right, the moon is full on the night of October 31st, all the humans and their familiars meet at the mathematically calculated spot to do magical battle.

I have to say that I love the cover art. It looked familiar, though, so I did some googling of the artist, James Warhola. Just as I thought, he did cover art for some of Spider Robinson's Callahan's series. He uses the same structure, with the book's characters grouped in small groups, obviously visiting in one room. I find it very pleasing, if a bit busy. But unlike some artists, it seems that Mr. Warhola actually read the book and understood what he was illustrating.

I read this to claim the Genre: Supernatural square of my Bingo card. I would gladly read it again next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment