Monday 1 July 2024

Palm Sunday / Kurt Vonnegut

 

3 out of 5 stars 

I was introduced to Kurt Vonnegut when I was in university and I became a fan. I am attempting to gradually revisit his work now as a much older person. I still appreciate him, but sometimes for different reasons. This book is a loosely stitched together collection of his short writing, connected with his memories of the context around them.

I vividly remember the first time I read this. I was sick as a dog with a horrible throat infection. I was reading Palm Sunday and swilling cough syrup directly from the bottle. I was in my mid-20s, living in a crappy basement suite, working my first real job. I think that is why this book made such an impression on me, containing as it does some of his speeches to young people. Vonnegut speaks about how to live life and this was information that I needed at the time. I fully believed him that loneliness and boredom would be the worst problems that I would face. I had enough experience in the work force at that point to make this argument meaningful.

I followed some of his Palm Sunday advice—cultivating my network of extended family. I got to know not only my first cousins, but second and third cousins and enjoyed spending time with them. I didn't leave things there, though. I joined societies devoted to various interests of mine and made good friends there. I volunteered and made more friends. I made sure that I had a busy and full life. Thank you Mr. Vonnegut. I can honestly say that I have rarely been lonely since I was 28, though I certainly enjoy a fair amount of solitude. I have rarely been bored.

Vonnegut shows us how the world could be improved by the application of compassion and kindness. He warns us that nothing is all good or all bad. There are plenty of gray areas and we should keep that in mind before getting all judgey. He reminds us of the value of the arts, whether you read, paint, sculpt, act, or indeed if you provide an audience for those who create. Kindness, companionship, creativity. These are the finest parts of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment