Wednesday 24 July 2024

A Tidy Ending / Joanna Cannon

 

3.5 out of 5 stars 

I have to hand it to Ms. Cannon, she kept me off kilter for all but the last few pages, when everything clicked into place. I kept reading, wondering what is wrong with Linda? She obviously doesn't understand people—is she autistic? What about her germ phobia? I spent a fair amount of time also considering what happened when she was a child in Wales. That at least became clearer as the novel progressed.

Was her mother actually as awful as Linda leads us to believe? Maybe she's trying to support a child with emotional problems and is being misinterpreted by that child. How in heck did Linda end up married to Terry? I had so many, many questions. Linda seems far too trusting and I cringed as I see dishonest people trying to take advantage of her. But Linda has a secret power: she has carefully observed other people all her life and she sees the details. She sees past the surface despite having difficulty determining the motives of salespeople.

I wasn't sure what I thought of the novel right until page 382. Those last two chapters blew me away! I can't give any details, much as I would like to, or I would be spoiling things for other readers. Give Linda a chance. She will frustrate and amaze you.



No comments:

Post a Comment