Saturday 23 December 2023

Slashing Through the Snow / Jacqueline Frost

 

3 out of 5 stars

Evan Gray is an exceptionally patient man! If my competence as an investigator was as thoroughly questioned by my significant other, I would be angrily stomping away. This is one of the cozy mystery tropes that drives me the craziest! The absolute conviction of the main character that the police can't possibly do a good job of solving the crime. I mean, if you're Holly and you're dating the sheriff and think he's your potential husband, don't you think you should rely on him to know what he's doing professionally?

I've knocked off a star because of this view of mine. If I can temporarily overlook it, the mystery is reasonably good. I didn't see the solution coming, though I was pretty sure that someone would be threatening Holly before the book's end.

Two other things irked me in this book. Does Holly eat anything that isn't chock full of sugar? It's all cookies, cupcakes, hot chocolate, and maple syrup. No wonder the woman can't sleep! She's so hopped up on sucrose that she must be trembling. That must be how she also has the time to do the ridiculous amount of work that she apparently does: toy collection, gift wrapping, helping with tree farm events, shopping, jewelry making, inn keeping, not to mention cat care (I still love her cat, Cindy Lou Who).

Perhaps I have something in common with the Grinch? I just couldn't let go of these gripes this time out!

No comments:

Post a Comment