Sunday 17 December 2023

Double Eagle / Thomas King

 

5 out of 5 stars

Once again, a Thomas King book was out for months before I heard of it. Despite the fact that I follow him on Goodreads and should have been notified by the New releases feature. Please register my reaction as “disgruntled.” How did I finally hear about it, you ask? On one of my favourite radio shows,The Next Chapter on CBC, that's how. Where this series was described as “cozy mysteries for emotionally stunted men.” Not sure quite what to think of that, since I adore Thumps DreadfulWater. Perhaps they are for emotionally stunted women as well?

It took me a few pages to settle back into Thumps’ life in Chinook, but it was like slipping into an old comfortable pair of boots. It just felt right. Life never stays the same and there have been changes in the town, and not just that Thumps now has two cats. If you know the cast of characters, you will learn what's happening with them all. I appreciate this more than the actual mystery (which was good, BTW, and sufficiently mysterious). But it's best to find out what's up with Duke and Macy, Moses, Cooley, Morris Dumbo, the Heavy Runners, Al and her restaurant, Claire and Ivory, to mention a few. And to meet new folks to care about (Scoop for example).

We also have the return of Cruz, always good for amusing dialogue. Plus the FBI agent who he is accompanying, whose relationship to Cruz is frequently up for debate. Dialogue is where King shines, along with his charming cast of characters. Plot may come third, but the author doesn't stint on that either. He makes it look as easy as pie (to eat, not to make).

If you haven't tried Thumps DreadfulWater, what are you waiting for? Please consider this review to be your engraved invitation. You could jump in at any point, but why not at the beginning with DreadfulWater? If you don't like Mr. DreadfulWater, my apologies, but kindly don't shit on anyone else's enjoyment, okay?

Please, Mr. King, may we have some more? I know you said you were done writing, some stuff and nonsense about being too old. Please, pretty please, take a leaf out of that other King's book (that's Stephen King, BTW) and know that I will be treasuring and re-reading your books for as many years to come as I've got. Thank you, sir, for your fabulous writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment