Wednesday 23 March 2022

Shifting Shadows / Patricia Briggs

 

3.5 stars out of 5

What took me so long to read this collection of short stories set in the Mercy-verse? I'm just not sure. They are fun little vignettes, filling in some of the spaces between the novels. I was particularly taken with Asil's story(Roses in Winter). I suspect that a lot of us have a quiet crush on Asil.

Two of the stories I had read before, but they were worth reading again. Seeing Eye, the meeting of the blind witch Moira and her werewolf, Thomas, was also published in the anthology Strange Brew. It was one of my Halloween books one year. And of course there was the infamous Alpha and Omega, the introduction to the Charles and Anna series. I was so annoyed when I read the first novel (Cry Wolf) and found that I was missing important data! The introduction to this entry finally explained to me why a short story was the actual beginning of the series. I've been over my annoyance for a while, but it was still helpful.

I wouldn't recommend this volume as an introduction to Briggs' werewolf books. It's much better if you know the players before consuming this sampler. But for those of us who have become fond of these characters, this volume is a great way to distract ourselves while we await the new installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment