Wednesday 30 March 2022

Grow Your Own Herbs in Pots / Deborah Schneebeli-Morrell

 

3 out of 5 stars

The weather here in Calgary has been unusually warm and spring like of late and it has given me a bit of spring fever. I haven't maintained plants on my balcony for a couple of years, as there was a balcony railing replacement project and I needed to keep the area clear. I took the opportunity to tip out the old soil from my pots, so now I must decide if I have the stick-to-itiveness to maintain outdoor plants this year. If I sink cash into potting soil and plants, I'd hope that I would take care of them, but I know myself. (I just admitted defeat in the form of a dead African Violet that I had for well over 20 years due to my erratic watering of the poor thing).

I confess that perusing this book made me want to trot off to the greenhouse today! I have delusions of tending a green and sweet smelling tiny garden on my balcony. I must control myself and start small. The general plant and soil advice in this volume are sound and I loved all the inventive containers. I'll be sticking to the large pots that I have available, but I can dream of someday having more room, can't I?

My balcony is small and north facing. Our growing season is short, since I really can't put plants outside overnight until June without risking frost/snow. I'm also right beside an extremely busy major road, which makes sitting outside a very noisy and exhaust fume ridden experience. But I think I will at least do what I call my Scarborough Fair pot, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

No comments:

Post a Comment