Wednesday 23 March 2022

The Warrior-Prophet / R. Scott Bakker

 

2ish out of 5 stars

When I placed the interlibrary loan request for this book, I had no idea how difficult it would be to keep myself interested in it. It is definitely a book about a brutal war. The description of the sacking of Caraskand alone was horrible. The killing of children, the raping of women, and the senseless destruction of the city—they all turned my stomach. And when I turned from fiction and switched on the news, all I got was the bombardment of Ukraine by Russian forces. There was no escape.

What if Jesus hadn't proclaimed that the meek would inherit the earth? If he had never urged us to love our neighbours as we love ourselves? The titular warrior-prophet, Kellhus, assumes a very Christ-like role in this second book of Bakker's <i>Prince of Nothing</i> series. However, you cannot call him the Prince of Peace. He travels with the armies of the Holy War, holding court around his campfire each evening, talking with his “apostles" and gathering larger and larger audiences. He even has the two women, Esmi and Serwe, as his Mary and Martha. He communes with someone he addresses as Father. 

I had intended to read the final book of this trilogy this year, but I now question whether I can stand to. If this book tells me anything, it's that war is abominable and I already know that. These days, I need more lightness and joy in my life and these epic fantasy war epics drag me down. It remains to be seen if I ever finish this series.

Book Number 447 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project.


No comments:

Post a Comment