Tuesday 28 December 2021

The Thousand Orcs / R.A. Salvatore

 

2 out of 5 stars


I have to say that this book was a big step backwards in the writing and plot aspects of this series. We are back to overly simplistic story lines and frankly boring villains. Although Drizzt and Cattie-Brie are officially a couple, we are left wondering if they have consummated their relationship. There is some doubt about the cross-fertility of their two species and whether half-breed children would face a fair future. The difference in life spans between the drow elf and the human is another consideration. There seems to be a bit of reconsideration on both sides.

After the more adult themed books that centered on Wulfgar, this reversion to a major juvenile outlook is a big disappointment to me. If you're into fight scenes, there are plenty of those (as there always are), but for me they are getting old. I need a bit more complex character development to keep me fully engaged.

Predictably, there is a cliffhanger ending, which may be sufficient to lure me on to the next book. My library doesn't have it, so we'll see if I'm motivated enough to interlibrary loan it in the New Year.

Book Number 434 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment