Saturday 4 December 2021

Macaws of Death / Karen Dudley

4 out of 5 stars

First things first: the author, Karen Dudley, is my friend. We volunteered together, teaching about animals and conservation. Her sense of humour appeals to me because I get it, unlike some others. We also have a mutual interest in birds. Maybe I'm off base, but I find that I get along best with biologists and geologists—I know we will laugh at the same things.

Robyn Devara is someone I feel like I could have in my own friendship circle. She's a field biologist, not a crime investigator. However, she keeps finding herself in these dangerous situations, fending off the bad guys while trying to defend the birds and her research. She has a mild case of imposter syndrome, doubting her instincts fairly often. I enjoyed the references to the city I live in (fictional Robyn lives there too when she's not chasing parrots in Costa Rica) and the many Canadian references scattered throughout the text. 

I love the title of this one. (I know Karen's husband was responsible for her titles and for once I will not complain about them being punny). I think I know the Andres that her field camp manager is named after (a Tico married to a mutual friend). I think the real Andres probably enjoyed being portrayed as the Latin lover in this novel.

If you enjoy the birdy aspect of these books, I'd recommend that you also try Steve Burrows' Birder Murder Mysteries, which begin with A Siege of Bitterns

No comments:

Post a Comment