Wednesday 5 May 2021

Wild Sign / Patricia Briggs

 

Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)Wild Sign by Patricia Briggs
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed this latest installment featuring Anna and Charles. It reminded me strongly of the Mercy Thompson book River Marked, probably because of the watery opponents in both books. Not to mention the appearance of Coyote.

There were fun details: the fleeting appearance of a Sasquatch or two and a nod to the Lovecraft renaissance & renovation that seems to be happening right now. Please Ms. Briggs, can we have more Sasquatches? They are charming and have such potential.

I also appreciated getting more details of the Bran-and-Leah relationship, something that I have never really understood. I can't say that Leah has been totally redeemed, but I certainly had more sympathy for her by book's end. Briggs has been very skillfully filling us in on Bran's life and choices and perhaps making him less sympathetic over the last several books. It makes sense that the Wolf Who Rules would be ruthless and a bit of a bastard, but in the Mercy books, he is mostly portrayed as a caring father and foster-father, fond of manipulation, maybe, and of the Socratic method of achieving compliance. But we are coming to realize that he cares very little for anyone who isn't a werewolf, an attitude that is antithetical to Anna and Charles (and to Mercy too, for that matter, who has built a network of supernatural allies).

I don't have any doubts that there will be more books, as there are many devoted readers of both the Anna and Mercy series. But if I had any doubts, the last couple of paragraphs clinched it! What a note to leave us on! Well done, Ms. Briggs.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment