Wednesday 12 May 2021

Hangman's Holiday / Dorothy L. Sayers

 

Hangman's HolidayHangman's Holiday by Dorothy L. Sayers
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I find that I prefer Dorothy Sayers' novels to her short fiction. But I never mind spending time with Sir Peter Wimsey, so I'm glad to have read this collection.

Other readers should be aware that not all of the stories feature Sir Peter, however. There are a number of tales starring Mr. Montague Egg, salesman of fine wines & spirits. He doesn't seek out crimes to solve, as Wimsey does, but he does have a talent for applying his observational skills and fairly devious brain to any mysterious situation that he runs across. I quite like him.

There are also two stories which do not include any repeating characters. I found both to be entertaining.

Ms. Sayers, like all writers, needed more outlets for her creativity than one character could provide. This collection certainly shows how many interests the author had and how much information she had at her finger tips. There's no denying her sharp intelligence or writing skill.

Those who love short mystery stories will enjoy this little volume.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment