Thursday 4 March 2021

The Moor / Laurie R. King

 

The Moor (Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, #4)The Moor by Laurie R. King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Hound of the Baskervilles is my favourite Sherlock Holmes story, I think, so I guess it's no surprise that this novel is my favourite so far in Laurie King's series. You do have to relax your grip on the Holmes canon in order to enjoy this series, but King writes a good mystery should you choose to join her.

I have yet to see Dartmoor, but maybe someday when this pandemic is history, travel will again be possible. Between The Hound of the Baskervilles and the Brontes, I have a strong desire to experience the moors. But zero desire to camp there!

King uses Arthur Conan Doyle's story as a sturdy base for this excursion. I wish I could feel more clever about solving the puzzle, but I was only seconds ahead of Mary Russell in putting the pieces together. Instead, it was the hearkening back to the original work and the looming atmospheric moors that really made the book pleasurable for me.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment