Monday 1 March 2021

Last Scene Alive / Charlaine Harris

 

Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7)Last Scene Alive by Charlaine Harris
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I hadn't been really planning to continue with this series right now, but some how I found myself pushing the ‘place hold' button on the library website. A little act of rebellion, even if it was just against my own reading plans. Maybe because it felt like a defiant act, I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

I find Charlaine Harris' books to be rather comforting, dealing with small communities as she does. Once a small town girl, always a small town girl, I guess. I also like the way she structures her mysteries. She's fair with the clues, but also manages to fool me frequently. That's more fun than being able to easily identify the murderer. Plus, Aurora is a young woman and her romantic life is obviously going to be a central concern in her life. Harris writes believable relationship complications and knows how gals from small, somewhat religious towns feel about these issues. I do have to smile a bit about how many guys seem to be hovering, interested in the main character. It reminds me of her Sookie Stackhouse novels, where the men are tripping over each other to get Sookie's attention. This must be a plot device that Harris enjoys.

The end of the last novel was pretty rough on Aurora. The way Harris writes it, I assume she is familiar with loss and grief. It was lovely to watch Roe start to come back to life a bit, realizing that she has been merely existing. I know that feeling, although my loss was different. It's so reviving, to rejoin regular life!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment