Monday 22 May 2023

The Corpse with the Golden Nose / Cathy Ace

 

3 out of 5 stars

My library didn't have the first book of this series so I decided to plunge into book two. I needn't have worried, it was easy to get my bearings and know which end was up. I have previously read three books in Cathy Ace's WISE Enquiries Agency and I really enjoyed them. I expected to feel similarly about this book and was honestly surprised that it didn't please me nearly as much. Please don't think it's a bad book because it's not. Maybe I just wasn't in the best frame of mind to appreciate it.

Maybe because there were four women in the WISE series to alternate between, it felt like it moved a little faster. I also found myself wishing that Cait Morgan and her love interest Bud, the retired cop, were better communicators. Cait hugged her info tight, possibly because Bud was so sure they were confirming a suicide, not investigating a possible murder. Still, they seemed to talk past each other, the dialogue often feeling a bit stilted. Bud didn't talk like a cop and they didn't act like a mature dating couple.

I'll definitely finish the WISE series (I've only got one left) but I don't think I'll be following up with Cait. There's a lid for every pot but this lid just doesn't fit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment