Sunday 14 May 2023

A Murder of Crows / Sarah Yarwood-Lovett

 

4 out of 5 stars

This was a fun and engaging little mystery. Some of my enjoyment may have derived from the contrast with my previous read, which was long and tedious, but I have already placed a hold on the next in this series at the library. There were several factors that influenced me to choose this book: it is advertised as “perfect for those who loved Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club.” I'm uncertain what the connection between the two is, but I did really enjoy both of them. Secondly, the main character is an ecologist and there is a lot of natural history detail, which I always enjoy. And, of course, the title which featured crows attracted the birder in me.

I suppose one similarity to Osman might be the main character, Nell's, hidden depths, somewhat similar to the resourceful Elizabeth. They couldn't be more different though in age or intrepidness. Nell is a young woman who is trying to establish a professional reputation for herself. She is young enough that a handsome man is a distraction for her, even if he is the police officer who is charged with investigating her potential involvement in a murder case. Nell is a competent ecologist, but ends up falling back on family connections, unlike the independent Elizabeth.

If you are allergic to love triangles, you may develop a rash while reading this book, as Nell also has a flirtatious relationship with a coworker. Peeking ahead at the description of book two, it seems that will resolve soon, so I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about it, but perhaps it's better to be forewarned. A minor complaint is that the crows promised in the title don't appear in the novel.

So, I would recommend this cozy mystery on its own merit. Put The Thursday Murder Club out of your mind and enjoy A Murder of Crows for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment