Monday 22 May 2023

Clean Sweep (Graphic Audio version) / Ilona Andrews

 

4 out of 5 stars

This is my first real foray into the audiobook world. I decided to choose a familiar comfort read so that I could get used to the medium and determine whether I could enjoy it. Now, I realize that this is a graphic audio version performed by a full cast which is different from having the book read by one narrator. I plan to try one of those eventually too.

One thing about listening to a book is that you learn the received pronunciation of character names! In my head Dina was ‘Dinah' rather than ‘Deena,' so I had to make that mental adjustment. To begin with, I was unsure about the voice of the actor chosen as Sean, but he grew on me as the book progressed. Arland's voice should have been deeper IMO and I was unsure why he and Caldenia received similar accents? Does everyone from off-planet speak in British accents? (No, I answer my own question, I don't think Lord Soren did?) This is one issue—I returned the book to the library shortly after finishing it and now I can't go back to check on these details. I'm not sure how to find specific scenes to check on my impressions. Obviously I have more work to do to become a proficient audiobook reviewer! I can already tell that I need to keep a pen and paper on hand to make notes as I go.

A drawback for me is that I can read the text much faster than the actors can perform it. But is that a drawback? I guess that depends on how pressed for time I am. Still, I enjoyed the experience and have already requested the second volume of the Innkeeper Chronicles from the library. They are very popular and the wait times can be quite significant, so I've got some digestion time before book two to plan my attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment