Tuesday 23 May 2023

Five Little Pigs / Agatha Christie

 

4 out of 5 stars

I think there was a sixth pig (and not a little one, either), namely Amyas Crale. The man was certainly no treasure, being a drinker and a womanizer. Plus, he took his wife absolutely for granted! Some people just ask to be killed, don't they?

Agatha Christie knew a thing or two about unfaithful first husbands, who suddenly announce that they must be free to marry a younger woman. Mind you, if her biographer reports truly, she was also quite tolerant of her second husband's straying as long as he didn't rub her nose in it. She realized that she was significantly his senior and was lenient in order to preserve the marriage.

I found myself distracted by these thoughts rather than concentrating on the cold case details in this novel. As a result, I really had no notion of the true murderer here. But I was impressed that Christie wrote a cold case mystery before that was a thing. Plus she structured it around the childhood rhyme about five little piggies. It was a complex tale, but she added the extra layers to it.

I can see myself rereading this some time in the future (and likely being bamboozled all over again).

No comments:

Post a Comment