Thursday 4 August 2022

Wyrd Sisters / Terry Pratchett

 

3.75 out of 5 stars

An early Discworld novel, written before Terry Pratchett had hit his stride I think. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I liked its predecessor, Equal Rites, a bit more. His later Tiffany Aching series is even better to my way of thinking, being more focused and the author just generally being more experienced.

Nevertheless, there is a lot to enjoy here, especially if you are a Shakespeare fan. Macbeth enthusiasts will be particularly rewarded, as Pratchett plays with lines from the Scottish play. While entertaining us with his version of Macbeth, he manages to comment on desirable traits in a national leader and the nature of leadership in general.

Granny Weatherwax in later Discworld novels is more sophisticated than she appears in these early volumes. Here, she seems baffled by the concept of actors and theatre, something that I didn't care for. People have been telling and acting out tales around the fire for millennia and I can't recall hearing of anyone who didn't understand it. It didn't strike me as Pratchett's kindest treatment of a character, but he couldn't have known at this early point that she would become a regular character (and a beloved one).

I'm so glad that my friends got me reading these books, they are delightful. Now that I've overcome my compulsion to read the series in numerical order, I am free to enjoy Discworld on my own terms. That is a wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment