Thursday 4 August 2022

The Marlow Murder Club / Robert Thorogood

 

4 out of 5 stars

I have to be honest, I went into this book with a very skeptical attitude. After all, I have read The Thursday Murder Club and I loved it. It seemed to me that this book would be merely an inferior clone, written simply to cash in on the success of the earlier book. I have no way of knowing where Thorogood got his inspiration from, but I have to say that I enjoyed this novel every bit as much as TTMC.

It is obvious that Thorogood, like Richard Osman, was surrounded by strong, loving women. He mentions them in his acknowledgements. Both authors portrayed older women as strong, smart, and capable. Maybe a bit too brave for their own good. They're not too perfect, they have failings: a little too much to drink, a tendency to fight with family members, or an unhealthy fixation on being a perfect wife. But I loved all three women for both their strengths and their weaknesses. Some of the antics that the author wrote for them were a bit over the top (the shredded paper caper), but that could be forgiven.

I note that there are plans for a second installment of Marlow and I have to say that I shall look forward to it. I hope my library will be acquiring it. What a conversion I've had from skeptic to enthusiast!

No comments:

Post a Comment