Sunday 28 August 2022

A Feast for Crows / George R.R. Martin

 

4 out of 5 stars

I can see why this is not the favourite volume of A Song of Ice and Fire. Very, very little Jon Snow. No Daenarys. No Tyrion. However, it still rates pretty highly for me because I am interested in Arya, Sansa, and Brienne. Yes, I missed Tyrion, but I do not look forward to all the Daenarys I will have to put up within the next book! And I am reluctantly coming to be rather fond of Jaime Lannister.

This is a very dark and violent world, which I can usually handle, but there were a couple of scenes here that I quickly skipped over. I didn't need the gory details. Can I dare hope that there will be less of that in A Dance with Dragons? I won't hold my breath. I will read that last-published volume and be done. I don't expect GRRM to ever write that last book. I think the tv series killed any lingering desire of his to write it. However, if I'm proven wrong, that would be a pleasant surprise.

I do look forward to getting more time with Jon and Tyrion, plus hearing how things go for Queen Cersei. She has embroiled herself in quite the situation! Couldn't happen to a better person. She should have studied her father's methods a little better. Had no one ever told her to keep her friends close and her enemies closer? Sending all the schemers away from her court just gives them more license to plot and plan. Then there's the old saying about catching more flies with honey than with vinegar. She kept treating her allies with rudeness and scorn, but still expected their loyalty. How can one person, so highly placed, be so clueless?

It will be some time before I tackle Dance, but I shall look forward to it.

Book number 470 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment