Wednesday 29 June 2022

The Kaiju Preservation Society / John Scalzi

 

4 out of 5 stars

2022 Free Range Reading

A book chosen for fun, not part of any project, plan, or list. And it was lots of fun! Scalzi, in his acknowledgements, likens it to a catchy pop song. My thoughts went to cotton candy. Sweet, light, no nutritional value, but still highly enjoyable.

It is classic Scalzi. His emphasis on the place of kindness in life reminded me a lot of Kurt Vonnegut’s fiction. His use of the devoted circle of friends seemed to recall Spider Robinson's group of allied weirdos in Callahan's Bar. That and the tendency among KPS staff to celebrate with alcohol and feasting (plus ukeleles and staff change-over rituals). His sense of humour is both ironic and pervasive. (And I “get" it, which I appreciate. That's not a given for me.) It's very much what I would call “internet influenced.” I haven't read his blog lately, but it was very much like I remember his blog being—interested in basic human rights, human justice, and being righteously angry about all the ways he sees society getting things wrong.

But really, this is just a great creature feature. Kaiju are awesomely wonderful monsters. Just like in Jurassic Park, the KPS thinks they have everything under control, but we all know that control is overrated. Not to mention prone to failure. Scalzi lets the tough stuff happen, but finds ways to bend events toward the good. A feel good monster book.

No comments:

Post a Comment