Monday 13 June 2022

Fated Blades / Ilona Andrews

 

3.5 out of 5 stars

You know I had to read this--it's Ilona Andrews. I am a member of the BDH (Book Devouring Horde). Therefore, I placed my hold at the library and rejoiced when it arrived. I hate to admit that I wasn't sure how much I would like it, so didn't run right out to buy a copy. I'm still not sure whether I need to own it (so I suspect the answer is ‘no').

This is very similar to many Andrews novels. It's a Romeo and Juliette tale, where two powerful people from rival families are forced to team up to track down their errant spouses, who have scarpered with important family business research. Ramona and Matias have never met in person before, but they have studied each other via spies. Meeting in person is a shock, as they find that they are very, very attracted to one another.

Of course the mission is not easy. There are evil fathers-in-law and psycho military aliens to be dealt with. Thank goodness Ramona and Matias have trained since they could walk with their implanted weapons. This is very much an ‘enemies-to-lovers' romance, which is my preferred trope. If I have a complaint, it's that the plot and the romance play out much too quickly. At only 200 pages, the authors must blast through events at warp speed. I really like their trilogies, where the tension gets spun out for a greater length of time.

So, my verdict? Nice, but not quite as satisfying as either their Kate Daniels or Hidden Legacy series. If they publish more Kinsman books, I will read them, because that's what I do. And you do not need to have read the first two novellas to enjoy this book. It can stand firmly on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment