Tuesday 14 June 2022

Shadow Rites / Faith Hunter

 

4 out of 5 stars

2022 Re-Read

A good, fast hit of urban fantasy entertainment! The action picks up right away and hail, hail, the gang's all here. The Trueblood family and cat are in town for the vampire/witch conclave. The Youngers have scooched over to make room for them in the house. Edmund, one of Jane's favourite vampires, has moved in too, as Leo has pretty much insisted that Jane take him on as her Primo. And he comes with accessories, namely the enormous werewolf, Brute, and the wolf's grindylow. There's not much elbow room at Jane's house these days. She's thanking the stars that she can escape to Bruiser's occasionally.

Hunter has created an intricate world and takes full advantage of her previously established details to give a really edge-of-the-seat ride. She mixes witch magic, vampire politics, and one of my favourite skinwalkers to produce a fast paced, dangerous adventure. Edmund is the star of the show among Jane's household. This guy is smart and sneaky and he's been plotting to become Jane's Primo for a couple of books now. This is a vampire who used to be a blood master and we are given to believe that he allowed himself to be bested by a weaker vamp, presumably to slither his way to better things. Just what his plans are will be most interesting. (Although I remember really liking his character on my first read through, the fine detail is gone, so I get to enjoy the discoveries all over again.)

I really should have held onto this book for a little while and tended to books with closer due dates, but when I picked it up at the library this afternoon I found it irresistible. I can't say I'm sorry to have slipped my leash.

No comments:

Post a Comment