Sunday 26 June 2022

A Mixture of Frailties / Robertson Davies

 

4.25 out of 5 stars

The (Mostly) Dead Writers Society Author in Residence program 2022

You know, I was sure that I had read this book thirtyish years ago, but I have to say that it was completely wiped from my memory banks if I did. I think I'm maybe giving myself credit for something I never actually got around to.

I'm really struck by the similarities between A Mixture of Frailties and Davies’ later work, The Lyre of Orpheus. Both involve financial trusts funding musicians and the creation of operas. Here, Monica Gall is sent to London to improve her voice and develop a reputation for her singing. Monica becomes involved with one of her tutors (I hesitate to call it ‘romantically‘ since he seems to be the taker to her giving). Eventually some of her trust money is put towards his opera, The Golden Ass. The Lyre has the obnoxious Schnak, who is to finish ‘Arthur of Britain' both to earn her degree and to gain her own reputation as a composer.

Monica and Schnak are both from religious, repressed families and Davies turns both of them loose from those bonds, with additions of art, booze, and sex. Having gone through a much milder form of both religion and liberation, I could relate to them. Both of them also must overcome their backgrounds as provincial Canadians and learn to properly value their own talents. This is not so much in evidence here in 2022, when I think Canadians have learned to be proud of our own accomplishments, but it very much held us back in our earlier history. Now we are rightfully proud of our artists, musicians, and writers.

Because this is a trilogy, we once again see Solly Bridgetower, Auntie Puss, Dean Knapton, and attourney Snelgrove as members of the Bridgetower Trust. When Solly's manipulative mother dies, her will is revealed to be an instrument of punishment for the son who dared to marry Veronica Vambrace against her wishes. The Anglican Church gets punished, her friend Puss fares no better, and the trust members must find a deserving young woman (i.e. Monica) to send to the UK for artistic training. At least until Solly and Veronica produce the son to whom the fortune will be bestowed.

Davies had such a clear view of human nature that I can easily envisage the novel's events playing out in real life. He oversaw enough theatrical events and university students that he must have seen many such personal dramas in his career. His writing may be somewhat old fashioned but I still appreciate its clarity and the compassion he shows for his characters as he puts them through their paces.

No comments:

Post a Comment