Thursday 3 February 2022

Touched by an Alien / Gini Koch

 

3.25 stars?

It's February, the month that includes Valentine's Day, so I'm going to try to clear some of the paranormal romances off my bookshelves. Every now and then, I'm tempted by a PNR that hits my particular interests. This one includes aliens (although they are conveniently human in appearance) and there‘s a fight to save the world. It's not all about the bedroom.

This book quickly reminded me of Darynda Jones' Charley Davidson series, which stars a smart-talking private investigator who can see ghosts and has supernatural connections. I often feel like Jones tries just a bit too hard with the humour in that series and I experienced a similar thing here. Kitty is just a bit too snarky for my taste, but there's a market for it. (The first Jones book and this one were published within a year of each other).

The title is maybe referencing the old TV show “Touched by an Angel," based on the whole concept of a guardian angel who can influence human lives. Humanity is definitely being influenced by the Alpha Centurians, but hardly in the neutral or chaste way that angels are usually envisioned. That seems to be part of the humour. (FYI, for a more carnal version of angels, see Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series).

What really hooked me was the cover art, so I was unsurprised to realize that the artist is Daniel Dos Santos. He has illustrated for both the Mercy Thompson and Alpha & Omega series by Patricia Briggs. He has a talent for depicting urban fantasy heroines to show both strength and attractiveness. He also has a penchant for exposed midriffs, but doesn't exaggerate breasts or show nearly naked women. His covers are pretty good in the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment