Friday 11 February 2022

Explorer / C.J. Cherryh

 

4 stars out of 5

For some reason, I really struggled with the first 200 pages of this novel. More to do with me than the book, I suspect. I've been in a restless state since Christmas, with a short attention span, and the first pages require attention to the Ship vs. Colonists politics and guessing about the Guild, all of which require that the reader pays attention! I finally got into the groove and I am so glad I stuck with it.

When the Ship arrives at the Guild space station, they discover a large hole blown in it and an alien ship lurking near by. The Guild is determined, despite their dire situation, to maintain control of all humans. Too bad they have no idea any more of how to actually deal with real humans, who think for themselves, make their own plans, and have their own objectives. What could they possibly have done to annoy the aliens so much? Bren and Jase have a lot on their plates, but they have Ilisidi, the aiji-Dowager, and a committed security staff. And cooks and tailors who know more than a little about diplomacy.

I love the Dowager! When she bangs her cane, everybody snaps to. After a long life of plotting and planning, she is a formidable presence. She manages to steer them all to a path that may accomplish what seems impossible at the beginning. And I love that she has no compunction about ordering even Bren to go sleep if she judges that they need it.

Cherryh writes political manoeuvring and covert operations very well. I couldn't put the book down for the final 200 pages, making up for my slow start.

Book Number 440 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment