Friday 11 February 2022

Death in the Clouds / Agatha Christie

 

3.5 stars?

The February 2022 selection for the Appointment with Agatha reading group. Yet another Hercule Poirot mystery. I think I may be quite tired of the little Belgian by the end of this reading program.

I knew that flying used to be a much more civilized endeavor in the past, but this novel really brought it home to me. The stewards spoke of china cups, coffee spoons, and fish knives! Nowadays, you’re lucky if you can beg a paper cup of bad coffee and a stir stick. Mind you, I have no clue how to identify or use a fish knife. It all sounds spacious and comfortable and pleasant. Sigh! I miss travel, even the long waits, security lines, and cramped quarters of the Before Times. I have not yet the bravery for air travel in the Covid Times.

I note that once again Madame Christie has inserted two archaeologists into the tale, one of them young and handsome and interested in Miss Jane Grey. She has Poirot mention their passion for pottery as opposed to dig donors, who are obsessed with gold, jewelry, and other treasures. I imagine she knew a thing or two about it, having spent time on her second husband's dig sites.

This month's book reminded me strongly of last month's choice, Three Act Tragedy, at least in the identity of the murderer. And I do wish she hadn't tried to ship off so many of her criminals to Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment