Wednesday 16 February 2022

Blood of the Earth / Faith Hunter

 

4 out of 5 stars

I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock world. I've been meaning to try this series offshoot since 2017 and I'm so glad that I finally picked it up.

I really liked Nell Ingram as a main character. She is self sufficient in so many ways, an escapee from the abusive cult that she grew up a part of. She may be out, but her land is right next door and the men of the cult still try to make her life miserable. But Nell has talents that her former community isn't aware of and they didn't manage to squash her will during childhood. Then Jane Yellowrock appeared in her life and re.cognized her abilities. Now Rick LaFleur and the paranormal law enforcement agency PsyLED showed up on her doorstep and Nell must choose: is she still a church lady or is she independent Nell?

No points for guessing which choice stubborn Nell chooses. Exactly the same one that I would in her place. It's fun watching Nell grow, expand her abilities, to flourish and bloom. Just what I want for all women. I'm very impatient to read the next book and part of me wants to reread the Jane Yellowrock novels too. Perhaps I'll use them as treats to keep me on track in other areas of my life. If you are interested in a nonfiction version of escape from an abusive religion, try Tara Westover's Educated.

No comments:

Post a Comment