Monday 17 January 2022

The Wee Free Men / Terry Pratchett

 

4 out of 5 stars

My one resolution for the New Year is to do more free range reading, grabbing whatever takes my fancy rather than be hemmed in by my own reading plans. So when a group of friends suggested a buddy read of this Pratchett book, I jumped at the chance. I often have trouble with written humour and felt that a supportive group might help. It turns out that I needn't have worried. I didn't need an interpreter.

I'm not too good at the buddy reading biz either, not being exactly sure what's expected of me. But I can enjoy a good book when I find it. Tiffany Aching is an excellent heroine, clear sighted, clear headed, and practical. She's right when she observes that if you really watch what's happening around you, you can learn an awful lot. Especially if you are quiet and don't draw attention to yourself. I do agree with one of my fellow readers that she seems much more mature than a nine year old, but I was willing to forgive that. Especially since Pratchett manages to stuff so much common-sense into a humorous book. As the old saying goes, many a true word is spoken in jest.

I'm always a bit leery of books that include a lot of dialog in dialect. But in this case, the Nac Mac Feegle just seem to be made for a strong Scots accent. They are adorably impetuous, living as they do for drinkin', fightin', and stealin'. Tiffany may not know exactly how to do what witches do, but she is in good company as she learns the ropes.

This is an inside out fairytale, where the delicate winged fairies are like biting insects and the helpful Fae are the tiny blue-tattooed, ill-behaved Nac Mac Feegle. Instead of a glass slipper, Tiffany has clodhopper boots. No evil step-sisters in sight, just one sticky younger brother. And, of course, Tiffany aspires to be a witch, not a princess. Instead of a fairy godmother, she gets Miss Tick, an itinerant teaching witch. Instead of being rescued by a handsome prince, she must rescue the Baron's none-too-bright son, Roland. Forget about being a seventh son, she is a twentieth grandchild of powerful hag, Granny Aching.

I am happy to be started on the Discworld saga. For years I've been seeing how much my friends have enjoyed it, but I tend to want to start with book one in a series and work my way through it methodically. I can now see where that is unnecessary with this series. I just couldn't find my way into the first volume, but with this one the door is wide open and welcoming. If you've been like me, on the outside looking in, consider a visit with Tiffany Aching and the Nac Mac Feegle.




No comments:

Post a Comment