Tuesday 4 January 2022

The Readaholics and the Poirot Puzzle / Laura DiSilverio

 

4 out of 5 stars

Another cosy mystery referencing Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express. I enjoyed this one a lot, just as much as Mayhem at the Orient Express, which I read last month. Just a warning: if you haven't read the original Christie and you don't want to have the solution spoiled, read it before this book. DiSilverio assumes your knowledge of Poirot's adventure to inform this mystery.

I picked the first novel in this series last May because it was related to The Maltese Falcon, which I had recently read. The book club selection featured in the third novel is Du Maurier's Rebecca. I don't think I want to read that book again, but maybe I'll try another of her novels before I tackle it. But I will certainly read the third novel.

I'm somewhat disappointed that there are only three books in the series, but since the story is almost equally about Amy-Faye's romantic life, the scope is limited. She seems to be well on her way by the end of this adventure, so one assumes that things will resolve in the third novel. Like a fairy tale, things end “happily ever after,” as if nothing more of any consequence can happen to a woman once she achieves a relationship! Despite that, I like DiSilverio's writing. My library has a number of her other books which I will definitely put on my possible list.

If you like this series, may I suggest that you try Southern Spirits by Angie Fox, A Dark and Stormy Murder by Julia Buckley, or Mayhem at the Orient Express by Kylie Logan. And of course you must read Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express.

No comments:

Post a Comment