Monday 31 January 2022

Hostage to Pleasure / Nalini Singh

 

2.7 stars out of 5

Every now and then, I return to one of Nalini Singh's series just to remind myself what they are like. If you like her, she is consistent—you will get what you expect. I always prefer the books which focus on Psy characters, so this volume suited me more than others. The machinations of the Psy Council intrigue me, as well as the actions of individual Psy citizens. If I had my way, these political manoeuvres would be in the foreground and all the relationship issues would be background, but I am apparently in the minority on this issue.

Ashaya makes a daring escape from a secure Psy facility, only to be thrown into the arms of Dorian, a latent leopard Changeling. They have had limited communication before, when Ashaya arranged for the rescue of two children from that same facility and Dorian was the sniper on the other side. Unbeknownst to either of them, they both have become obsessed with each other. This is a typical Singh set up. The majority of the book is spent on getting these two people switched from enemies to lovers. That can't possibly be a spoiler, as it is Singh's consistent pattern.

In short, if you are looking for a paranormal romance this series is a good bet. I prefer books that include a stronger mystery component, so although I like one of these occasionally, they will never be a mainstay of my reading life. 

Part of my 2022 Free Range Reading. Also an entry on my "Dude, where's my shirt?" shelf.


No comments:

Post a Comment