4 out of 5 stars
Halloween Bingo 2026
I read this for the Village Villainy square of my 2026 Halloween Bingo card.
My third time reading this mystery and it is still enjoyable, even though I remembered who the murderer was. However I had fun watching Christie introduce all the clues and craft her special sort of confusion. The exact details had escaped my memory, so I had the joy of Poirot's grand reveal at novel's end.
Dr. Sheppard is very similar to Hastings in his account of the case. His tale is shaped by the things he knows and those he doesn't. Like several other characters, he assumes that Poirot is past his prime and is obsessing over irrelevant details. He fails to realize just how attentive to detail the little Belgian is. As an aside, I am kind of horrified/glad that men get underestimated as they age too. In a misery loves company kind of way.

No comments:
Post a Comment