Thursday, 10 September 2026

A Dance with Dragons / George R.R. Martin

 

3.5 out of 5 stars 

Halloween Bingo 2026

I used the From the Vault wild card in order to read this for the Alice in Wonderland square of my 2026 Halloween Bingo card.

This book has been lingering on my TBR since 2012 and I decided to tackle it this year. It has been four years since I read A Feast for Crows and I found that my memory of the myriads of side characters has faded. The constant war and harsh conditions has also beaten me down. There's no end in sight, which I find disheartening. I can understand why Martin got stalled here.

As with the previous books, some characters appeal to me more than others. I looked forward to the chapters featuring Jon Snow, Tyrion, Bran, Arya and even Reek (Theon Greyjoy). I tolerated the Daenerys and Victarion Greyjoy chapters, but found them over long, I must admit. That's not everyone by any stretch of the imagination, but those were the characters that made an impression on me.

There was a preview of The Winds of Winter, so Martin had obviously made a beginning at the next installment, but he must have been tired of this world of mud and blood. I haven't watched the television adaptation, but their need to end the series must also have discouraged him from providing his own conclusion. So, we are left with unanswered questions. Will Jon Snow's attempt at humanitarian treatment of the wildings work? Will Tyrion ever see Westeros again? Will Theon completely escape the clutches of Ramsey Bolton? What will Arya do with her new skills? Will Daenerys learn to control her dragons? With so many characters there are so many questions.

This is also Book number 546 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment