4.5 out of 5 stars
This is the perfect book for a fan of Barbara Pym! I read an interview with the author, Kerry Clare, in which she said that this novel was her take on a modern Pym novel. To my way of thinking she knocked it out of the park. Not only is the author a fan of Pym, so is the main character, Clemence Lathbury. Clemence is the run-away divorcee, renting an attic room in a shabby old house. She is determined to live a life that she actually chooses and wants.
The Pym references are numerous. Clemence aspires to be an excellent woman and ends up involved in the local church's jumble sale. She finds herself an unsuitable attachment: Toby, her co-worker at a bookstore, who is as pale as any Pymian curate and suffers from debilitating allergies and food sensitivities. After their first real kiss, Toby runs away “like some untamed gazelle.” The owner of the bookstore (and the local food mart) is named Crampton. Clemence finds odd indexing jobs to support herself. Those are just the obvious ones.
Clare nails the “I want to be independent but I'm somewhat awkward about it" vibe that so many Pymian spinsters exhibit. Clemence also manages to surround herself with friends and friendly acquaintances who love the new, eccentric woman. Like Pym's single women, Clemence is willing to claim what she wants, even if her society is pushing her in another direction.
I am absolutely delighted by this little gem. I borrowed it from the library, but I have a hunch that I will need my own copy.
The Pym references are numerous. Clemence aspires to be an excellent woman and ends up involved in the local church's jumble sale. She finds herself an unsuitable attachment: Toby, her co-worker at a bookstore, who is as pale as any Pymian curate and suffers from debilitating allergies and food sensitivities. After their first real kiss, Toby runs away “like some untamed gazelle.” The owner of the bookstore (and the local food mart) is named Crampton. Clemence finds odd indexing jobs to support herself. Those are just the obvious ones.
Clare nails the “I want to be independent but I'm somewhat awkward about it" vibe that so many Pymian spinsters exhibit. Clemence also manages to surround herself with friends and friendly acquaintances who love the new, eccentric woman. Like Pym's single women, Clemence is willing to claim what she wants, even if her society is pushing her in another direction.
I am absolutely delighted by this little gem. I borrowed it from the library, but I have a hunch that I will need my own copy.

No comments:
Post a Comment