Sunday 19 November 2023

One Fell Sweep / Ilona Andrews

 

4.5 out of 5 stars

When my library delivered this audiobook to my account, I admit I dropped everything to listen to it this weekend. I've read my paper copy so many times that I even noticed the adaptations that made it work better in audio. I think this may be my favourite volume of the Innkeeper series. I think I enjoy Dina and Sean sorting themselves out while Maud and Arland reach détente. Plus there is virtually nonstop action, what with rescuing Maude and Helen, the appearance of the Hiru, the corrupted innkeeper, collecting the parts of the Archivarius, and the siege by the Draziri. Plus the irony of Sean stating that he will kill every single Draziri and then they will celebrate Christmas. 🤣

Since reading (a number of times) Sweep of the Heart, I appreciate the planning that the Andrews put into planning these series. Details of this book stand out when you realize where they are heading. The somewhat familiar feeling of the corrupted innkeeper's magic, for example, or the wanderings of Olasard through Gertrude Hunt.

I love these graphic audio recordings and find them very effective. I don't remember quite so much background music in previous installments, but perhaps my memory is selective. At times I felt the music and sound effects overwhelmed the dialogue, an unfortunate situation. But it was still far too much fun and I know that I will once again neglect other books in favour of Maude and Arland's story when it comes available at the library. Not a bad distraction from the wait for what threatens to be the final volume of the Innkeeper Chronicles. Yes, I want to read the next book. No, I don't want the series to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment