Wednesday 15 November 2023

An Excellent Mystery / Ellis Peters

 

4 out of 5 stars

More Brother Cadfael because I cannot resist this canny Welshman. For a Brother residing in a monastery, Cadfael has a remarkably flexible relationship with the truth. In fact, he seems to live by the Wiccan adage, An it harm none, do what ye will. Saint Winifred, whose acquisition Cadfael assisted with in the first book of the series, seems to smile benevolently on her Welsh compatriot.

I really noticed during this volume how Peters used contemporary (i.e. 12th century) vocabulary. She used it sparingly, but it lends a more realistic feel to the novel. She has, as a writer of my acquaintance has said, chosen her version of “bygonese” and maintains it throughout. Add to that lovely descriptions of the settings, such as the monastery gardens and the land along one boat journey. Nasty things may still occur, but they will happen in well described surroundings.

Characters have carried over from the last book, specifically Rhun, the formerly lame man healed by the Saint in the previous installment. His sunny presence lights up the sick room or the sanctuary, wherever he is. Hugh's wife, Aline, gets a moment in the thick of things too. I was pleasantly surprised at the halfway point when I figured out what was going on and could see a potential for a graceful solution. I'm not usually trying to solve the mystery, just along for an entertaining ride. I get a little thrill when I see the solution before the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment