Thursday 10 August 2023

Exit Strategy / Martha Wells

 

5 out of 5 stars

“I hate having emotions about real humans instead of fake ones, it just leads to stupid moments like this.”

I think many introverts can identify with this! We have our (small) circle of friends that we're willing to be ourselves around. Our idea of hell is being surrounded by people we don't know and forced to make small talk. We feel like Murderbot trying to figure out what to do with its arms. How do extroverts decide what to talk about? It's a mystery!

As per usual, listening to Kevin R. Free brought my reliability rating up to 97%. Watching (well, listening to) Murderbot being heroic, both in rescuing Dr. Mensah and dealing with its own emotions, is very satisfying. In these anxious times, who could be a better main character than an ultra-anxious construct? Reading and listening to these books gives me a way to process my own daily worries. The Murderbot Diaries have become my version of The Rise and Fall of Sanctuary Moon.

I can hardly wait for System Collapse, coming out in November. My father used to tell me not to wish my life away, so I won't wish that it was November, but I will live in happy anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment