Wednesday 23 August 2023

Behind Closed Doors / B.A. Paris

 

3 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer Reading 2023***


Reading Prompt:  Book that you can find on a beach reads list on GR

Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 9

I seem to be saying this a lot lately: I have an uneasy relationship with the thriller genre. And my book club seems to be enamored with them. But this one was pretty palatable to me.

I can tell that we are going to have a lively discussion this evening. Why did Grace get married to a man she hardly knew? Why did she trust him so easily, especially since she had less-than-devoted parents? To which I ask, have you got any abusive men in your family? If you do, you may have grown up feeling that abuse is normal. You may be drawn to abusive men and accept their cover stories because the whole vibe feels familiar. I've watched it happen in my family and it's one of many reasons that I never married. 

I loved that it was Grace's sister, Millie, with Down's Syndrome, who inspired Grace. Loved the ending. It's not often that I find it easy to read a thriller but this one kept me going!



No comments:

Post a Comment