Sunday 26 February 2023

The Woman in Blue / Elly Griffiths

 

4 out of 5 stars

I always enjoy this series, but the installments that have more of Cathbad the druid are the best! This book benefited from his frequent presence. I think that a religious theme here also gave this book extra oomph, since Nelson and Ruth are both wary of religion and Cathbad seems to love it in all its forms.

Ruth is someone I would love to have as a friend. She is intelligent, academic, and has a wide range of interests. You could have a wide ranging conversation with her and never be bored. Nelson's wife, Michelle, is pretty but very shallow. When the whole Michelle & Tim situation explodes into view, Ruth ends up wondering what two intelligent complex men could possibly see in Michelle. I guess Michelle is the obvious choice if you are fixated on physical appearance. For me, attraction is a complex mix of appearance, sense of humour, intelligence, kindness, and interests. Just being handsome is not nearly enough. If I was to go speed dating, I'd be asking questions about his last vacation destination, if he speaks a language besides English, or how he spent his last weekend.

It's also great to see members of the supporting cast getting on with life. Cathbad and Judy are living together and enjoying their two children (although Judy seems to be itching to return to the police station). Clough has settled down some, although his junk food consumption hasn't reduced at all. Tim is understandably moving on. Time will tell if Tanya and her girlfriend will feature more prominently.

I suppose the “will they, won't they” dynamic between Ruth and Harry may eventually become tiresome, but I haven't reached my limit yet. I completely understand Ruth's ambivalence about actually having to live with another adult. There's no guarantee that a man in the house would make life better for her and Kate. Or worse for that matter. I still have a half dozen novels awaiting me and I look forward to the next one (eventually).

No comments:

Post a Comment